The Dana Graded School was dedicated on July 4, 1906 with an educational rally, dinner and a parade of students from the Blue House, the Blue Ridge Academy and other preceding schools to celebrate the day.
This four room “modern” school allowed students to be taught according to their grade level as opposed to the one room school that was typical of the day.
Educational curriculum only went to approximately seventh grade level. During this time many students from the ridge completed their high school studies at Fruitland Institute.
At the end of the 1920’s when smaller schools were consolidating with Dana, the school became overcrowded and classes were taught at local churches until the new high school was completed in 1928.